Flight 93 Heroes!

Some men gave their lives to prevent Flight 93 from being crached into another terrorist target.  We don't know what that planes target was yet, but these men gave their lives to prevent others from dying.  Hopefully we will learn more about the things that happened on that flight before it crashed.

 God bless these men and any other people who helped them on that day.

This is the story of a couple of these men and of their flight!

Todd Beamer, Donald F. Green, Jeremy Glick, Mark Bingham Thomas Burnett & Lou Nacke!

Todd Beamer

The phone call, first reported yesterday by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, offers the most detailed evidence yet of the passenger revolt aboard Flight 93 that may have caused the plane to crash short of its intended target — believed to be Washington.

“ARE YOU guys ready?” the operator heard the 32-year-old Beamer ask fellow passengers aboard United Airlines Flight 93, which crashed into the Pennsylvania countryside 80 miles southeast of Pittsburgh on Tuesday. Then he said: “Let’s roll.” The operator, Lisa D. Jefferson, heard screams and a scuffle before the line went dead, according to Beamer’s wife, Lisa, who heard the account from Jefferson.


Lisa Beamer said Jefferson told her she was on the line in Chicago with Todd Beamer for the final 15 minutes of the flight, which was headed from Newark to San Francisco and crashed just after 10 a.m. The phone call, first reported yesterday by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, offers the most detailed evidence yet of the passenger revolt aboard Flight 93 that may have caused the plane to crash short of its intended target — believed to be Washington.

In other phone calls, two passengers told people on the ground they were planning to try to overpower the hijackers. New details also emerged yesterday about the final moments of the two hijacked airliners that slammed into the World Trade Center.

United Flight 175, a Boeing 767 headed from Boston to Los Angeles, was on a collision course with at least two other airliners after it veered off course and descended toward Manhattan. In one case, the hijacker controlling the plane appeared to maneuver the flight to avoid a collision, according to government sources. Another aircraft descended rapidly after being warned of an imminent collision with a hijacked plane by the on-board collision warning system. As it flew toward Manhattan, United 175 turned to the left and began descending. One controller reported to investigators that he realized the plane had turned head-on toward a Delta aircraft “and was descending into his face.” The Delta plane began a turn, but the other aircraft also turned, and their radar targets merged on the screen, sources said. However, the hijacked plane leveled off for a moment, perhaps to avoid the Delta aircraft, then began its descent again. The hijacker pilot “knew what he was doing,” a controller said. Shortly after that, the hijacked plane was headed straight for a US Airways flight. The US Airways plane’s collision-avoidance system detected the approaching plane and advised the US Airways pilot to descend, which he did, averting a collision. Controllers scrambled to direct other planes out of the way of both United 175 and American Airlines Flight 11 — which also originated in Boston — as they headed toward the twin towers.

Lisa Beamer said her husband called Jefferson on a GTE Airfone at 9:45 a.m., after the passengers aboard his flight had learned that Flight 11 hit the World Trade Center. By that time, the hijackers aboard Flight 93 had stabbed one passenger to death. The United pilots, Jason Dahl and Leroy Homer, had also been injured, Beamer told Jefferson, though he did not say how seriously. The remaining passengers and crew were broken up into two groups; some were herded together in the first-class compartment, but most were told to sit on the floor in a galley at the rear of the 757-200’s 110-foot cabin, Beamer told Jefferson.


Beamer said that he and a group of men in the rear of the plane planned to “jump on” one of the hijackers who was standing guard over them, with what he said was a bomb attached to his waist. “We’re going to do something,” Beamer, a father of two from Cranbury, N.J., told Jefferson. “I know I’m not going to get out of this.” He asked Jefferson to recite the Lord’s Prayer with him, and she did, Lisa Beamer said. Beamer then said, “Let’s roll,” and Jefferson could hear chaos in the cabin until, minutes later, the line went dead.

It was the hijackers’ bad luck that they chose a plane with a number of large men on board. Beamer stood 6-foot-1 and weighed 200 pounds. Jeremy Glick, 31, another passenger involved in the apparent revolt, was a college rugby player and judo champion. Mark Bingham, 31, of San Francisco was a 6-foot-4 rugby player. United Airlines has told the family of passenger Lou Nacke, 42, a 5-foot-9, 200-pound executive who wore a “Superman” tattoo on his left shoulder, that Nacke is believed to have been involved in the plan, according to Robert Weisberg, Nacke’s father-in-law. There was also a trained pilot among the passengers, Donald F. Greene, 52, executive vice president of Connecticut-based Safe Flight Instrument Corp. A person who answered the phone at Greene’s home yesterday declined to comment.

Even if they managed to overpower the hijacker standing guard over them, the men in the back of the aircraft would have had to run — single file, down a narrow aisle about 35 yards to the cockpit. Both Beamer and Glick spoke of three hijackers in their phone calls, but the FBI has identified four, two of whom were apparently in the cockpit. This suggests that the passengers may not have been able to see a fourth hijacker. Todd Beamer was on the line for about 15 minutes — long enough for him to ask Jefferson to relay a message to his wife and two sons, David, 3, and Drew, 1. “Tell her I love her and the boys,” he told Jefferson. Lisa Beamer, 32, said she is expecting another child in January. She said her husband knew she was at home, but she believes he called the GTE operator to spare his wife pain and to get word of the hijacking to authorities. He gave Jefferson his home phone number and asked her to call. On Friday, Lisa Beamer finally spoke with Jefferson. “Now knowing there were a few people on board who showed that level of courage, it’s just an inspiration to everybody when there’s not a lot of inspiration to go around,” Lisa Beamer said.

The air traffic controllers on duty Tuesday morning in Boston, New York, Cleveland and Washington who watched the four doomed airliners on radar screens have now told their stories to investigators. Sources say these debriefings show the terrorists knew their commandeered aircraft well enough to use several electronic means to confuse controllers. Gradually, controllers sorted out what was happening, but to their horror, they could do nothing but watch. The FAA’s Boston and New York “en route centers” — where controllers guide planes through upper-altitude airspace and vast areas of lower airspace where there are no major airports — saw almost all the action involving the two World Trade Center planes.

The first real sign that something might be wrong apparently came when the Boston center gave American Flight 11 permission to climb but received no answer. There was no further radio contact with the plane. Controllers at both the Boston and New York centers were confused at first, but a New York controller announced: “I believe I might be working a hijack.” According to sources, one of the first radio utterances from an open microphone on one of the two craft was, “Get out of here. Get out of here.” Controllers lost track of American Flight 11 as it flew at 29,000 feet. Later, it was determined the pilot had probably turned off the plane’s transponder, which sends controllers the plane’s identity, flight number, altitude and speed. The New York center took over the task of locating the American 767, continuing to search south along the flight path the plane should have been taking.


The first outside word that controllers received was that a small twin-engine plane had hit one tower of the World Trade Center. They thought it was a twin-engine Cessna that had taken off earlier from Poughkeepsie, N.Y., to fly south under “visual flight rules,” meaning the plane was not under direct air traffic control. As several controllers gathered to help search for the American plane, a controller glanced at another radar screen and shouted, “Look. There’s an intruder over Allentown.” In air traffic jargon, an “intruder” is a plane with an operating transponder that has entered restricted airspace without permission. This time, the hijackers had tried a different tack, or perhaps made a mistake. Rather than turn off the transponder and leave controllers with little information, they turned it off for about 30 seconds, then retuned the transponder to a signal that was not designated to any plane on that day. A transponder must be tuned to a specific four-digit code, called a “squawk,” that is programmed into air traffic computers. This allows the computer to identify the plane and display its information on radar screens. Whatever the hijackers were trying to accomplish, the bogus squawk allowed controllers to track the intruder easily, though they couldn’t identify it. At that point, the facility chief said: “I think we may be dealing with two aircraft here.” Then, as the plane began to dive at 6,000 feet per minute, a controller said: “No, he’s not going to land. He’s going in.” © 2001 The Washington Post Company

Jeremy Glick

LYZ GLICK SAYS she believes in fate. Does she believe her husband was fated to be on that plane? “I do, I do,” says Lyz. “He was scheduled to fly out on an earlier flight the day prior. Even three days before the flight, he had begged me to have him stay home. He didn’t want to go. And I said you have to go. You can’t say no to your company. And I think with all the badness going on that God or some higher power knew that Jeremy had the strength to somehow stop some of the bad that was going on. I believe that. I believe that Jeremy was meant for a higher purpose.”

Wherever that doomed plane was heading Tuesday morning, it never got there with its payload of jet fuel and 45 innocent people. And evidence strongly indicates Americans owe a debt of gratitude to the citizen heroes aboard Flight 93. One of them was 31-year-old Jeremy Glick — the middle son of Joan and Lloyd Glick of Hewitt, N.J. wanted to tell us the story of his life and his heroic death as a keepsake for his baby daughter born only 12 weeks ago.

The story began with a phone call Tuesday morning.

“We had received a call from Jeremy as he was boarding the plane at seven in the morning — 7:30 — to say good morning to Lyz or goodbye to Lyz,” says Richard. “And the baby had been up all night. We let Lizzie sleep, so it was a 45 second call, ‘have a good trip’ and we’d gone about our business. Lizzie was sleeping.” Jeremy Glick was booked on Flight 93 out of Newark bound for San Francisco. The plane departed on schedule at 8 am. Breakfast was served to 38 passengers by five attendants. They settled in for the five-hour flight, not knowing what the rest of us were watching in horror.


“I turned the TV on, and the crashes were occurring. I just had a gut feeling that Jeremy’s up in the air, but hopefully he’s gone. I was turning TVs off. I didn’t want Lizzie to worry that something was going on. And then the phone rings at about a quarter to 10. And it’s Jeremy. My wife picked up my phone, and she said, ‘Jeremy, thank God, we’re so worried.’ And he said, ‘It’s bad news.’ And he said, ‘Let me talk to Lyz.’ And that’s when they started talking.” What time in the flight did they get the call? “He said they had been up for about an hour, and there was some very bad men that had come onto the plane,” says Lyz. “I’m not sure how long they had been up before the plane was hijacked. But he said that the men had a bomb and they had a knife. He said that they were Arabic-looking men. I think he said they were wearing red headbands. The description said that there were three of them. He was very surprised that these people could have boarded the plane.” “I asked him if the pilots had been in contact with them to tell them what was going on, and he said that no contact had been made by the pilots. It seems that the men had taken over the plane and had moved everyone to the back of the plane and kind of left them there.” Jeremy told her he was calling from the plane air phone. It was a conversation Lyz says lasted for more than 20 minutes.

“He was free to talk to me,” says Lyz. “I was a little bit, I think surprised by the aura of what was going on, on the plane. I was surprised by how calm it seemed in the background. I didn’t hear any screaming. I didn’t hear any noises. I didn’t hear any commotion. It almost didn’t make sense to me, you know, that such a terrible thing could be happening, yet what I was hearing in the background and in his voice was not as bad as what was really happening on that flight.” There was no hysteria on the ground, either. Lyz’s mom had the wit to dial 911 from another line. Authorities patched into the call. “And we ran and got the cell phone and dialed 911 and tried to get a link where Lizzie was talking to Jeremy and Joanne was talking to the state police and questions were going back and forth. Yes, he said there was a bomb. Did he say what the bomb looked like? “It was something with a red tag around it,” says Lyz. “He was confused by it.” But he seemed to believe that it was in fact a bomb? “Yes,” Lyz says. Did he ask about the World Trade Center, or did Lyz bring it up? “He asked me,” she says. “I remember I was standing in the living room. It was actually right in front of me on the television. He said, ‘Lyz I need to know something.’ One of the other passengers has talked to their spouse, and he had said that they were crashing planes into the World Trade Center and was that true. And I hesitated for a moment because he was in the air and I didn’t want to tell him something so horrible. What was he going to do with this information, was he going to go into a panic? And I just hesitated for a minute, and I said, ‘You need to be strong, but yes, they are doing that.’ He didn’t know if they were going to blow up the plane or if the plane had another mission.”


“They were still flying high at the time this happened. They were still able to see rural landscape. And the plane had turned. It wasn’t going to California.” “He felt the plane was circling, and it wasn’t going to California.” A little more than an hour into the flight, it makes a sharp turn off course near Cleveland, Ohio. Radio communication is switched off. Dateline has also been able to confirm that a new flight plan was filed from on board, perhaps by a fourth hijacker — the destination, Reagan International Airport. The plane was now on a direct course for Washington, D.C.

“He knew something very bad was going to happen,” says Lyz. “What he needed to know was what was going to happen. Were they going to blow the plane up, or was it going to crash into something else, because that made all the difference.” As Jeremy and Lyz debriefed each other, he was beginning to see the diabolical plan — that he was not a hostage, he was strapped to a guided missile. These high school sweethearts, 1988 prom king and queen, married five years last month, brand-new parents, seemed to be saying farewell. “We said I love you a thousand times over and over again, and it just brought so much peace to us,” says Lyz. “I felt the feeling from it. He told me, ‘I love Emmy’ — who is our daughter — and to take care of her. Then he said, whatever decisions you make in your life, I need you to be happy, and I will respect any decisions that you make. That’s what he said and that gives me the most comfort. He sounded strong. He didn’t sound panicked, very clear-headed. I told him to put a picture of me and Emmy in his head to be strong.” He knew that he was not going to make it out of there. I was focused on making him know that I was OK.”

Jeremy and two other men were hatching a plan in the back of that 757, now a little more than a half hour from the nation’s capitol. It was a suicide mission, in a way — not to take lives but to save them. Another passenger, Thomas Burnett, told his wife by cell phone that three of them were talking about “rushing the hijackers.” Jeremy told Lyz they were going to take a vote. “He was asking me, ‘I need some advice — what to do?’” she says. “‘Should we, you know, we’re talking about attacking these men, what should I do?’ And, you know, I was scared about giving him the wrong information. I didn’t want to do something wrong and have something terrible happen, and so I asked him if they were armed. And he said he had seen knives. But there were no guns. And then I finally just decided at that instant that, ‘Honey, you need to do it’. “And then he joked. He’s like, ‘OK, I have my butter knife from breakfast.’ You know, this was totally like Jeremy. And then he said to me, ‘You know, I’m going to leave the phone here. Stay on the line, I’ll be back.’ And then I gave the phone to my dad because I didn’t want to hear what had happened. And I just prayed, I just sat there and prayed.”


I’ve never seen him cry,” says Lyz. “And we had talked about it maybe a couple of months ago. And I said, ‘You know, I’ve never seen you cry.’ This is before my daughter was born. And the day she was born, the first time he looked at her, he had tears in his eyes. And then on the phone when I was talking to him — when everything was happening on the plane, he was crying — and that was the only other time that I had ever heard him cry. And I’m definitely the crier in our relationship.” The last thing Lyz heard her husband say was to stay on the line. But she couldn’t bear to listen and handed the phone to her father, who did. “There was no noise for several minutes,” says Richard. “And then there was screams, screams in the background and so I said, ‘Well, they’re doing it.’ Another minute, seemed like eternity, but another minute, minute and a half, and then there was another set of screams. And it was muffled. It was almost as if a roller coaster, the noise that you hear. Then there was nothing.”

Send Comments or Questions to Roger Vick

Return to Vick's Home Page